Content

recorder series
H4N


 


performance and recording | 5 tracks album | 2011
Exhibition: Around sound art festival 2013, soundpocket, HK


Documentary Video


I did a project by using H4N recorder to record things that sound artists do not want to hear in their recordings normally, such as the wind crashing or shaking sound. I believe that audio recorder has its own characteristics when it “listens” the world and they can be explored to open our sonic experience. I try to alter the position of technological means and artist and to get inspiration from it. I take the zoom recorder H4N without its wind-shield or any external microphone to record tracks. These tracks demonstrate the zoom recorder is not under a normal recording condition. The position is not stable, microphones are in touch with materials, wind is hitting on the microphones, etc. I made the tracks into an album and documented the process of how I did it by video. No processing or mixing for all soundtracks and the microphone level during the whole recording process is the same.